WHO WE ARE
ASSERT NSW is a multi-disciplinary professional organisation dedicated to the promotion of professional development and providing opportunities for people working in the field of human sexuality.
Founded in 1977 ASSERT NSW is active in education and is a forum for the exchange of ideas and research.
The Mission of ASSERT NSW is:
- To promote community knowledge and acceptance of human sexual behaviour and attitudes.
- To advance the scientific study and professional practice of sex education counselling, research and therapy.
- To encourage and promote through its members and the wider community, the development of related areas of professional knowledge and practice of sexology.
- To promote the exchange of ideas and information and resources about human sexuality and related issues.
- To maintain high standards of professional ethics, competence, conduct, education, qualification and achievement among professionals in the field
ASSERT NSW follows a Code of Ethics setting professional standards for those involved in the field of sexology and requires members to observe this code in their practices.
The ASSERT NSW philosophy embraces the WAS Millennium Declaration of Sexual Rights that states that sexual rights are fundamental and universal rights.
ASSERT NSW acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we work and live, and recognises their continuing connection to land, water and community. We pay respect to Elders past, present and emerging.